Making sourdough bread recipe can by most challenging task if you are not following right set of instructions, but khaby made it easy for you even you are with no professional cooking knowledge.
Sourdough bread comes with many health benefits as Sourdough is a great source of several minerals such as iron, selenium and others.
A sourdough bread recipe is made with ingredients such as flour, water, salt, and naturally occurring live, or wild yeast; mix them to make in the evening or morning. Here are the instructions for sourdough bread that will never go wrong; read and prepare bread at home:
Sourdough Bread Ingredients
List of Sourdough Bread Recipe Ingredients and Sourdough Bread cooking method are given below:
Ingredients for Starter:
- sugar 2 tablespoons
- 3 ½ cups flour
- warm water 2 cups
- active dry yeast 2 ¼ teaspoons
Ingredients for Bread:
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 1 cup starter stir before using
- flour 4 cups
- salt 2 teaspoons
How to Cook Sourdough Bread Recipe?
- Start by taking 2 ¼ Teaspoons of Active Dry Yeast and add it in a glass bowl with 2 Cups of Warm Water then mix well.
- Let the mixture rest for few minutes then add 3 ½ Cups of Flour with 2 Tablespoons of Sugar. Mix again to combine all ingredients properly.
- After that, take a clear wrap and wrap your bowl with it but avoid sealing it too tightly. Make sure that your starter can still breathe a little after wrapping.
- Place it at room temperature in a dark place. Let it rest for complete 5 days. Stir every 12 hours until making the dough.
- Now to confirm that if your yeast is being activated or not you will see that the starter is rising and shrinking each day.
- You will also see bubbles in it. Take another bowl then add 1 ¼ Cups of Water, 4 Cups of Flour, 2 Teaspoons of Salt and 1 Cup of Starter.
- Mix all the ingredients well and knead for only 20 minutes with your hands. After 20 minutes you will see that your dough is stretchy and not sticky with hands.
- Now take the rest of your Starter and fill into a glass bottle then place this bottle in the fridge. Feed it with at least 1 teaspoon of sugar once a week.
- You can easily replenish your starter by adding 1 Cup of Flour and ½ Cup of Water then mix and put it back in the fridge.
- Take another large bowl then sprinkle some flour all over it and place your kneaded dough and now sprinkle some flour on this dough.
- Place a towel over the bowl and let it rest for more 12 hours. After that take a flour board and spread some flour on it then place your risen dough.
- Knead the dough again on this flour board for few minutes and spread some flour in a floured proofing basket then place this dough in this proofing basket.
- Sprinkle some flour on the dough again and place the towel over it one more time then let it rest for 4 hours.
- Now after 4 hours flip your dough onto a parchment paper then put it in the 480 degree pre heated large cast-iron dutch oven.
- Bake for only 30 minutes after covering the lid then remove this lid and bake for more 15 minutes till the crust turn golden brown.
- Finally, place it on the cooling rack for about 1 hour and then knock it to listen for a hollow knock.
- Your awesome Sourdough is now ready.
Please don’t forget to subscribe our official channel
Sourdough Bread FAQs
Ans. The reason behind it is very simple. Simple Bread can cause too many digestive issues like bloating and other such problems. On the other hand Sourdough Bread with its lactic acid makes it easier for your body to absorb all the necessary nutrients.
Ans. Sourdough Bread is not your normal bread because it is one of the oldest breads in the world. It is 4500 years old bread. It was first baked by an Egyptian Baker. Therefore, you can say that this bread is from ancient Egypt. However, in reality the oldest Sourdough Bread dates from 3700 BCE and was excavated in Switzerland.
Ans. Sourdough Bread unlike other breads doesn’t spike the blood sugar level in a human body. Therefore, it is considered as very safe and healthy bread for Patients suffering from Diabetes.
Ans. Sourdough Bread is a great source for weight loss as it High Fiber Diet and reduces the level of insulin in your body which makes you feel full quickly. This way it saves you from overeating.
Ans. Acetic Acid and Lactic Acid are the main factors which make Sourdough Bread sour. When you refrigerate your Sourdough bread the amount of Acetic Acid increases with each passing day which plays important role in the sourness of Sourdough Bread.